NV AMD 61 CL and Gillows Kit
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
1/2A Airplane Engines 049-074
  • Page:

TOPIC: NV AMD 61 CL and Gillows Kit

NV AMD 61 CL and Gillows Kit 10 years, 9 months ago #206

• molder4
I am installing one of these engines in a modified gillows P 40 Warhawk. Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup. The kit states that I need to use a 35ft line is this to short? What would the smallest size tank I can use?

Re: NV AMD 61 CL and Gillows Kit 10 years, 9 months ago #207

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
Guillows kits are pretty small aren't they, how big is yours? You have a very fast engine after it's fully broken in. I flew a Big Mig .061 on my 6oz, 24" wingspan self designed stunt plane on 40' lines, and it was turning 2.5 second laps, or about 73mph. I didn't think it was ever going to run out of fuel that day. I had to do lots of lazy 8s and loops just to ward off the dizzies. And your engine is faster than mine.

It was much more comfortable on 45' lines. I usually pump 3/4oz of fuel into my pressure bladder. I haven't timed it, but I think that's about 3 minutes of flight running screaming full speed, maybe more. An APC 6x2 prop lets the engine run fast enough to be happy and cuts the speed considerably. I use that on my 7.2oz Baby Flite Streak and can manage it easily on 35'. The 6x3 prop that NV recommends is really too much load on the engine. These engines are meant to unwind at high RPM so as not to bog in loops.

Please don't turn your Guillows back into a pile of sticks, and post back to let us know how it goes. If you need quick advice, you might want to try RCgroups.com in the "Control Line" and "Engines" sections, or coxengineforum.com in the "Other engines" section under "Models and modeling." There are lots of knowledgeable Norvel users there.

Sorry NV Administrator, I hope it's okay to direct members to other sites. Please let me know if it's not. Just want to help the guy out as much as possible.
Rusty
Last Edit: 10 years, 9 months ago by RknRusty.

Re: NV AMD 61 CL and Gillows Kit 10 years, 9 months ago #222

• molder4
Thank you for the reply. The plane has a 28" wingspan and I have made mods that I picked up with building rc planes. The plane should be strong enough. I ended up with a .074 big mig some how so I am going to use it. Any advice on prop size for this size of engine. I still dont know what this plane is going to weigh.

Re: NV AMD 61 CL and Gillows Kit 10 years, 9 months ago #223

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
I'm not sure about the prop on an .074. Type this into Google without the quote marks, and you should find it:

"Norvel .074 prop site:rcgroups.com"

Or this:

"Norvel .074 prop site:rcuniverse.com"

Good luck,
Rusty
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds
kac1968imagedsplay0803tjac

Member Login