Hello, My first post
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
1/2A Airplane Engines 049-074

TOPIC: Hello, My first post

Hello, My first post 11 years, 9 months ago #75

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
Hi, all, I just received a few new engines as a gift and I am pretty sure one of them is a Big Mig .061. I've been wanting a Norvel(do we still call it that?). I'm a long time Cox flyer and the Tee Dee .049 and .051 has been a great dependable workhorse for me. Now that I have built a new Brodak Baby Flite Streak, I think I have the perfect engine for it. That plane deserves a classy engine and the .061 looks like the answer. It's a screaming beast with the Tee Dee.

First I want to confirm that I have identified my new engine correctly. It appears to be brand new, but is it old Norvel, new NV or something else? So here it is:

I need to learn about breaking it in because I have no paperwork or box, but it looks unused.

Rusty
Last Edit: 11 years, 9 months ago by RknRusty.

Re: Hello, My first post 11 years, 9 months ago #76

• victor
  • Administrator
The old Norvel and the new NV are the same thing - that's what you have - Big Mig 061. The prop screw is the old style, but it makes no difference. Still an excellent choice!

The break in instructions are in the Support menu on top of the main page.
Last Edit: 11 years, 9 months ago by victor.

Re: Hello, My first post 11 years, 9 months ago #77

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks, Victor. So this would be a Revlite engine of the newer era? The only difference I could see compared with the Big Mig picture on the Engines page was the placement of the spraybar. Mine goes through the venturi near the rear, while the NVengines picture showed it through the center of the venturi. And my 3-fin head looks a little wider.

I'm looking forward to mounting this thing on the test stand and firing it up tomorrow. I also have a brand new MP-Jet .061 to learn about. It came in the box with all the papers and shims.

Re: Hello, My first post 11 years, 9 months ago #78

• victor
  • Administrator
As far as I know there is a difference between the slanted and straight venturis - one has a little bigger opening than the other, but I don't remember which is which.

Re: Hello, My first thread - my new Big Mig .061 11 years, 9 months ago #79

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
I took off the backplate and head and slathered it all up with castor oil. I hand turned it while I watched the Olympics. Wow, those Women's Indoor Volleyball girls have the best short pants ever! And they play a mean game too.

Anyway, I made a mount for it today, added some more oil and spun it good and fast with my drill. I shook out most of the oil and mounted a Sullivan 3oz tank so the fuel was level with the NVA, and it was time to light it up. Before I opened the NV I primed it so I could just watch it burn off a prime. It sizzled and kicked and popped but it never did really spin up on the prime. So I opened the needle 3 turns, which I read somewhere and spent the next 2 hours flipping and trying different needle settings, none more than 3 turns. It sizzled and popped. A few times I figured it was flooded so I closed the NV and kept flipping. It never would burn it all off, though it would brrrap a few times. After another hour of that I took a break. I'll give it another try later tonight. I did learn one thing... this baby has one mean ass kickback. I usually start my Tee Dee .051 bare handed, but I dug out my leather glove for this engine.

Re: Hello, My first thread - my new Big Mig .061 11 years, 9 months ago #81

• hllywdb
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Rusty,
A couple of quick questions,
What fuel are you using?
Do you have good fuel flow from the tank?
Does the glow plug light up well when connected?

I would start with Sig 25% 1/2a fuel and when new, try starting it with the needle set as the starting directions indicate. You may also have a lot of oil still left in it from your disaasembly/hand turning to burn off.

I usually start with the needle around 1 3/4 turn out and adjust from there. It sounds like you are just a bit flooded or too rich.
Last Edit: 11 years, 9 months ago by hllywdb.
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds
kac1968imagedsplay0803tjac

Member Login