TOPIC: Hello, My first post

Re: Hello, My first thread - my new Big Mig .061 11 years, 8 months ago #82

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
hllywdb wrote:
Hi Rusty,
A couple of quick questions,
What fuel are you using?
Do you have good fuel flow from the tank?
Does the glow plug light up well when connected?

I would start with Sig 25% 1/2a fuel and when new, try starting it with the needle set as the starting directions indicate. You may also have a lot of oil still left in it from your disaasembly/hand turning to burn off.

I usually start with the needle around 1 3/4 turn out and adjust from there. It sounds like you are just a bit flooded or too rich.

Hi, hllywdb. I'm using a fresh quart of castor-added Glowplugboy Rocket Power 24. After adding 1.3 ounces of castor, the nitro content is around 23.1%, castor is 20.1% and methanol is 56.8%. It runs good, the only other time it's been uncapped I flew my Tee Dee .051 and my Cox RR1, both ran perfectly.

I quit using Sig, as 3 batches was turning my glowplugs white and frosty looking.

I'm using new batteries and replaced them again just to be sure. The glowplug is lighting like a new one should. I double checked that again tonight. I think you're right, I probably left too much oil in it. I shook it out, but I may wash it out with fuel and dry it lightly re-oil it tomorrow. I'll start with a leaner needle next time, and maybe heat it up with a heat gun first too.

Thanks for the reply,
Rusty

Re: Hello, My first post 11 years, 8 months ago #84

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
I haven't had enough time to spend on it, but I've done some flippng and brraapping since my last post. Today I added 2 more shims to the head and it made a huge difference. I've finally learned not to prime this engine, it'll get plenty of fuel with a couple of flips. After decreasing the compression I got several fast 10 second runs with the nv at about 2.5 turns. It quit every time I reached for the needle while it was running. So tomorrow I'll add another shim or 2 and give it another try. I think it'll fire up and I can finally get some good run time on it.

Re: Hello, My first post 11 years, 8 months ago #91

• victor
  • Administrator
Make sure you get the compression right. Read an article in the top Support menu.

Re: Hello, My first post 11 years, 8 months ago #92

• hllywdb
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Rusty,
No more than 3 shims total, it should be OK with 2 on that fuel, but 3 is ok for break in. Try 1/2 turn richer first, then 1/2 turn leaner. You are close :)

Re: Hello, My first post 11 years, 8 months ago #94

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
I got her going and ran a few ounces through it. I'll post the details later today.

Re: Hello, My first post 11 years, 8 months ago #97

• RknRusty
  • Senior Boarder
Last week I finally got it running. I had to use 5 shims and a Cox Babe Bee head, but it cranked and ran as I followed the run-in instructions. It was only hitting 17.5K RPMs but I figured with less shims and the right head it would do better.

Today, I put 3 shims in it with the Norvel head and an APC 5.5x2 prop. She spun up some scary RPMs. I had to resist the urge to dive under the table and cover my head. The venturi and needle were loose so I couldn't let go or it would spin. The venturi wobbles too, so I'll cut some fuel tube to make a gasket and a seal for the needle.

But when I did get a tach on it, it was turning 23.9K RPMs. When I put the tach down and held the needle it was turning a lot faster than that. I'll find out just how fast when I fix the loose parts, but I'm pretty sure I just joined the 25K club.

I have another venturi with a 128 TPI needle so I can run bladder pressure. I'll need to figure out where to needle it with that while it's still on the bench before I put it on my Baby Flite Streak.

Anyway, in case anyone was interested, that's how my frustrating beginnings turned out so far. Not much action on these forums. I hope it picks up. There's a lot to know about Norvels. There is a wealth of good information at RCUniverse.com in a sticky in the 1/2A-1/8A forum. www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3747976/tm.htm
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds
kac1968imagedsplay0803tjac

Member Login