New GX40 Gasoline engine
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Larger Airplane Engines 15-40

TOPIC: New GX40 Gasoline engine

Re: New GX40 Gasoline engine 9 years, 4 months ago #317

• hllywdb
  • Junior Boarder
That's only as far as Paypal is concearned. Think of it this way, Let's say I went to my account on Tower Hobbies, placed an order, then used your Paypal account to pay. Paypal would kick it out, and rightfully so, as a mismatch. On a good day they might even send you an e-mail saying someone had tried to use your account fraudulently.

I have had Paypal reject a sale on me because my address on the site I was buying from had the exact same address but the full zip code instead of just the 5 digit version most of us use. Welcome to 2014 payment gateways. If we didn't have 3 million credit card numbers stolen each week they wouldn't be so strict. In Paypal's case they are not only the Paypal we use to pay for stuff online, but they are also a gateway (have been for awhile now after they bought up Verisign)and in the last year, a processor, like your bank.

So yeah, seeing an address come through as simply "Somewhere in the USA", definetly gets rejected as fraud.

Re: New GX40 Gasoline engine 9 years, 4 months ago #318

• goldenduff
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for everyone's concern. I only told the Norvel site I was a UK resident (full address not necessary to register and I only like giving away the bare necessary information). I forgot to complete it before taking an order.

The Paypal account was fine- had the full address but I guess this did not marry up with the partial address on Paypal.

Anyhow, all resolved, I'm a happy camper. Lets use this forum to discuss moving parts rather than admin!

So, with any luck I will receive my engine for Christmas :) I have heard the instructions are good and I will follow them absolutely including allowing the oil to "dissolve" in the Petrol for a week. Once the engine is run in (how long/ml?) I intend putting the engine in a 7lb plane. I am familiar with Glow, in reality does this engine perform like a "strong .46?" I think the petrol has more torque? I am limited to 10 maybe 11" prop but am not averse to using a three bladed one. Anyhow, perhaps over simplifying things but once broken in is this a strong glow 46 with better torque?

Many thanks, Goldenduff

Re: New GX40 Gasoline engine 9 years, 4 months ago #319

• hllywdb
  • Junior Boarder
It is similar to a strong 46 with better torque as long as you keep it in it's happy rpm range. Like most strong torque engines, power will fall off quickly after peak, so don't under prop it. I would start with an 11X6 and experiment from there. I've never tried a three blade on one, mostly because the ones out there tend to be inefficient and made more for scale applications.

Re: New GX40 Gasoline engine 9 years, 4 months ago #320

• Charley38
  • Fresh Boarder
goldenduff wrote:

So, with any luck I will receive my engine for Christmas :) I have heard the instructions are good and I will follow them absolutely ......

The instructions are good except for the recommended 2 1/2 turns out for the high speed needle. The engine will flood at that setting. Most engines reportedly wound up at about 1 turn out, as did mine. My engine idled fine with the factory setting of the low speed needle and the instructions are ambiguous, so I left it alone. Here are a couple of links to threads about the engine that you might want to visit:

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?...797&goto=newpost

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?...356&goto=newpost

CR
Last Edit: 9 years, 4 months ago by Charley38.

Re: New GX40 Gasoline engine 9 years, 3 months ago #325

• skypup
I may purchase one of these and am wondering what planes you folks may be running these in? Thanks for the information!

Re: New GX40 Gasoline engine 9 years, 2 months ago #328

• hllywdb
  • Junior Boarder
Pretty much any plane you would use a 40 or 45 in. It realy shines in a lighter plane as the light weight/high power makes a huge diference. This is a light 40, more like the weight of a 32 or 28, which combined with having to carry less fuel onboard makes a big difference.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds
kac1968imagedsplay0803tjac

Member Login