ax-40 top end scraping
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Larger Airplane Engines 15-40
  • Page:

TOPIC: ax-40 top end scraping

ax-40 top end scraping 12 years, 8 months ago #36

• Don
Hi i have a ax-40 and i was very happy with it.After about 15 flights i think i ran it lean and turnred the top end into junk.The engine still ran bit it made this hourendous scraping noise when running.Cyl and piston were scraped bad- i think the coating wiped off the cyl.I got a new cyl./piston cleaned everything,flushed the bearings with brakleen etc..Started it up to break it in and made it was scraping.made junk out of it again immediatley.I run S&W 15%nitro syn/blend.Compression to high maybe?i only have one head gasket.I may just get another engine.any ideas appreciated-Don

Re: ax-40 top end scraping 12 years, 8 months ago #37

• admin
  • Administrator
You need three head gaskets to break it in properly - one is not enough (compression is too high). Your oil should contain at least 50% castor.
Last Edit: 12 years, 8 months ago by admin.

Re: ax-40 top end scraping 12 years, 1 month ago #48

• fossmarkluni
Hi!

The manual does not state anything about using 3 head gaskets for break in, it this really necessary? I have just received my engine and I have not started to break it in yet.

Re: ax-40 top end scraping 12 years, 1 month ago #49

• admin
  • Administrator
No two engines are exactly the same - we just give general recommendations. The main things are not to run the engine too lean and castor oil is a must.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds
kac1968imagedsplay0803tjac

Member Login